Gambling Issues Raised Again in South Australia Elections

Published Monday, February 19, 2018 - Online-Casinos.com
Gambling Issues Raised Again in South Australia Elections

Politics is again making changes in the online gambling industry in Australia as The Guardian reports that Australian senate powerbroker Nick Xenophon and his party have revealed plans to reduce South Australia’s number of poker machines.

Xenophon made his name in politics 20 years ago for his call for “No Pokies” and it has been reported that he has toned down his anti-gambling rhetoric after South Australia revised its gambling tax revenue forecast.  Xenophon told the Australian last month “Reducing the harm caused by poker machines is ­pretty fundamental, but it would have to be a suite of measures, including more people getting assistance and reducing the number of people getting hurt in the first place, but most people just don’t get help when they have a serious gambling problem,”

Xenophon’s SA Best Party has now introduced the latest gambling reform package, a policy described as “both a deal maker and a deal breaker.” Xenophon, believes that the reworked package is “sensible and practical.” “What we’ve said is that there’s flexibility within the way that you achieve it, but what we’re seeking to achieve is, I think, reasonable,” Xenophon said, according to the news outlet. “I suggest to you that if SA Best is in a position of power to hold the next government to account, then both Labor and the Liberals will become born again gambling reformers in a very short amount of time.”

The proposed gambling reforms were looked at by the different sectors drawing mixed reactions. Liberal State opposition leader Steven Marshall described Xenophon’s latest stance on gambling as “the most astonishing back flip in the electoral history in South Australia,”

The Australian Hotels Association in South Australia warned that Xenophon’s SA Best’s pokie reduction package may result in the closure of some hotels across the region and may leave an estimated 26,000 people out of work.

The Liberal party leader remarked that he would turn down any SA Best offer to help form a government after the March 17th elections.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Related news

Return to Latest News