The Best Casino Software Providers
Online casino gaming is no longer the simple world it once was, with games coming from Microgaming, IGT or Scientific Gaming. Today there are almost too many online games to fathom from a plethora of online casino software developers. Many of these are excellent while many are not worth your time. This page aims to help you sort the wheat from the chaff while learning a bit more about casino gaming software, what a developer does, and which companies are the best in the industry today.
List of All Gambling Software Game Companies
Consider this your personal online casino software developer directory. I have written extensive reviews on each of the companies below, so if something catches your eye, simply click through to learn more. Each of the developers listed here is fully licenced with an excellent roster of games and has partnered with many reputable online casinos so whichever you choose you can be sure you’re in a safe place. Below you’ll find my listing of which companies produce the best casino software.
- 1. NetEnt Widely considered one of the best casino software developers in the world, NetEnt is responsible for titles such as Gonzo’s Quest, Jack and the Beanstalk and Starburst. Not content to stop pushing the boundaries with 3D slot games however, the company also hosts world-class live dealer casino games. PLAY NETENT GAMES
- 2. Quickspin Quickspin has been creating award-winning slot games such as Big Bad Wolf, Sakura Fortune and Big Bot Crew, since 2011. In addition to excellent slots, the Swedish developer has created many accompanying tools that benefit casinos and players alike under the umbrella of Quickspin Promote. PLAY QUICKSPIN GAMES
- 3. Yggdrasil Yggdrasil is more than just a game developer. The 6-year-old company has become a shaping force in the industry with its creation of the tools iSENSE, BOOST and BRAG. It is perhaps best-known for its innovative title, Sonya Blackjack, which sees the classic table game hosted by a motion capture-animated croupier. PLAY YGGDRASIL GAMES
- 4. Play’n GO Something of a jack of all trades, Play’n GO has created some of the most popular online slot games such as Book of Dead, in addition to an enormous range of table, video poker, bingo and scratch card titles. The Swedish developer retains user interest with themes ranging from Henry VII’s wives to Hip hop. PLAY PLAY’N GO GAMES
- 5. Microgaming Microgaming is a titan in the casino gaming industry, with over 500 games to its name. The company has been around since 1994 and the popularity and re-playability, combined with regular new releases across multiple game categories, suggest it isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. PLAY MICROGAMING GAMES
- 6 NextGen NextGen has been producing quality titles for the past 20 years. The question at the company’s core is “What makes a great game?” and its dedication to making casino games the best they can be shows. Since being acquired by Scientific Games in 2017, this plucky Australian developer has been given a well-deserved larger audience. PLAY NEXTGEN GAMES
- 7. Realistic Games Realistic Games was founded in 2002 and spent the better part of a decade focusing its energy on creating high-class roulette and blackjack products. In 2011 the developer launched its own remote games server, ReGal, which skyrocketed the company into the ranks of gambling industry leaders. PLAY REALISTIC GAMES
- 8. ELK Studios Multi award-winning ELK Studios was created in Stockholm in 2012. The slot developer focuses on mobile-first, bonus features and excellent graphics while giving players the option to experiment with various betting strategies. Popular interactive titles include Wild Toro, Taco Brothers and Wild Seas and new titles are released regularly. PLAY ELK GAMES
- 9. iSoftBet When it comes to variety in slot development, iSoftBet is the name to know. This London-based developer creates classic, unconventional, jackpot, video and 3D slots to appeal to all players. With a focus on mobile compatibility and inventive game themes, iSoftBet is certainly worth a second look. PLAY ISOFTBET GAMES
- 10. Big Time Gaming Australian powerhouse, Big Time Gaming, has been crafting exciting games since 1996 and is the developer behind one of the internet’s most beloved slots, Bonanza. One of the company’s stand-out creations is the Megaways feature, which randomly modifies the symbols which appear across a slot’s reels with each spin. PLAY BIG TIME GAMES
- 11. Pragmatic Play Launched in 2015, Pragmatic Play may be new on the scene, but its stellar output has marked the developer as a force to be reckoned with. Best-known for its mobile first approach to game development, Pragmatic Play took home the EGR award for Slot Provision in 2018. PLAY PRAGMATIC GAMES
- 12. Playtech Playtech has been creating some of the best slot, jackpot, table and live dealer games in the industry since the late 90’s. The Isle of Man based developer has a great range of licenced tv and film slots including Monty Python’s Spamalot and Who Wants to Be a Millionaire. PLAY PLAYTECH GAMES
- 13. Thunderkick Founded in 2012, Thunderkick is the brainchild of a team of former NetEnt developers. Its trademark are its colourful, fun characters and smooth gameplay, which comes courtesy of the company’s Remote Gaming Server (RGS). Though still young, the developer has already attracted much acclaim, with its slot Flame Busters taking home the 2017 Videoslots award for Best Mobile Game. PLAY THUNDERKICK GAMES
- 14. Push Gaming Founded in 2010, Push Gaming became one of the first casino game developers to truly focus on the mobile gaming market. In recent years the company has been picking up the pace with its output, releasing five games in the first half of 2018 alone. PLAY PUSH GAMES
- 15. Novomatic Though Novomatic has been developing slot games since the 80’s, its offering is decidedly fresh. Creating real-life slot machines as well as online equivalents has given the developer a real understanding of what players want – and that is film-themed games and the Book of Ra series! PLAY NOVOMATIC GAMES
- 16. Genesis Gaming With offices dotted across Asia and North America, Genesis Gaming is a developer set to conquer the gaming world. Though founded just over a decade ago, the company only received its UK licencing in 2015. It is perhaps most notable for its distinctive animation style, with Attack of the Zombies and Robyn serving as stand-out titles. PLAY GENESIS GAMES
- 17. Scientific Games Based in the casino capital of Las Vegas, Nevada, Scientific Games is one of the biggest and most powerful companies in the gaming industry. The developer can trace its roots back as far as 1932, when it was just a humble pinball game company. To date, it has acquired eight software developers which now operate under the SG umbrella. PLAY SCIENTIFIC GAMES
- 18. IGT IGT was launched in 1975 and as such has released an enormous number of slot and table games for both land-based and online casinos. The developer is perhaps most famous for its jackpot slots such as Cleopatra, Golden Goddess and Siberian Storm which have seen players win millions over the years. PLAY IGT GAMES
- 19. Betsoft Betsoft has made a name for itself as one of the most innovative and creative developers in the industry, crafting 3D casino games that push the boundaries of the medium. The company’s excellence has been awarded multiple times, most notably in 2018 when it received the MIGEA award for Best Gaming Casino Supplier of the Year. PLAY BETSOFT GAMES
How To Evaluate Which is the Best Online Gambling Software
There are a few things you should look out for when evaluating casino gaming software developers, as companies can look fantastic on the surface but may only offer a paltry few games. The reverse can also be true where a company can offer hundreds of poor-quality titles. Follow the short list below to make sure you’re on the right track.
Variety & Quality of Games
In order for software providers to appeal to online casinos, and indeed their players, they must offer a wide range of games. A developer that makes regular slots as well as jackpots and table games is far more valuable to casino than one that only creates slots. This doesn’t mean that a developer can’t create only slots, but that if they choose to, they had better be of great quality and as varied as possible in order for them to be worth paying for from the perspective of a casino site.
Bonus features are another useful way to make a title stand out from the crowd and while stacked wilds are a nice touch, a true bonus game-within-a-game is the best option to hold player interest. A good example of this is Play’n GO’s Rage to Riches slot. This features an interactive bonus game that is easily triggered, in which players act as a monster smashing down buildings. Small rewards like this really elevate the overall player experience. Some developers create game themes based on characters that feature in multiple slot games, or that make guest appearances in other games, which creates a sort of universe within that software provider’s library. A good example of this is ELK Studios, whose characters can often be seen popping up in each other’s games. Other developers have secured licences to valuable intellectual property to create slot themes based on tv shows, films and other pop culture phenomena. More recently, several slot developers have gone beyond the usual role of creating games and invented tools that help casinos, players and developers alike. For example, Yggdrasil’s BRAG tool allows players to share big wins with friends on social media platforms while Quickspin Promote offers casinos the chance to customise games and offer players tournaments and races against others, creating a more interactive gaming feel that promotes player loyalty.
RTPs, Fairness and Security
RTPs, or return to player rates, are very important when it comes to choosing a game developer or title. The return rate is how much of a player’s bet they can expect to receive back from a game after a certain length of time, this will always be under 100%. For example, if a player chooses a game with an RTP of 96%, and bets £100 over 100 spins, they can fairly expect to end up with £96. It is the developer that decides this number and it is up to them to ensure it, though third-party auditors are required to check the accuracy and fairness of these rates under the laws of the United Kingdom Gambling Commission. A transparent company is a safe company with regards to auditing. Developers that proudly display the results of these tests and the RTP rates of each game clearly make it easy for players to see that they have been checked for fairness and can be trusted. Sadly, this is not always the case and some companies make it almost impossible to find out the RTPs of their games, let alone the results of fairness checks. If it is difficult to find out the RTP of a game, then it is probably one you should avoid. There are more than enough alternative slot games and developers out there that do display this information which make it unnecessary for you to play at any sites that are not forthcoming. To find slot games with the highest RTPs click here.
Mobile & Tablet Compatibility
Mobile gaming has become big business in recent years. With more players picking up mobile devices than sitting down at desktops, most developers are now turning their attention to mobile-first strategies to ensure their output can be enjoyed on as many devices as possible. In fact, development of mobile compatible games is now one of the fastest growing areas of the entire online gambling industry. This rapid growth is thanks, in large part, to the development of new technology like HTML5. This computing language allows for smooth streaming of video and games within mobile web browsers. This has provided a major breakthrough for developers and online casinos alike, as players can now enjoy products on a mobile device without having to sacrifice valuable memory in downloading an app. Though online casino games can still be played through dedicated mobile apps, the advent of HTML5 and its incorporation into the development of online games means that the titles themselves can reach a broader audience. Additionally, it’s easier than ever before for players to enjoy an immersive casino experience no matter where they happen to be, while developers can experiment with adding more special features to their products. Truly, it’s a win-win situation for both the game developers and the fans of their output.
How Does Online Casino Software Work?
Naturally, there are differences between the games you play in a land-based casino and those you play in an online casino. Though, to a player many of the rules and gameplay are basically the same, online games by necessity have to operate differently to their land-based counterparts. To fully understand the work done by game developers, it’s wise to be aware of these differences and to understand how online casino software works. To give the best possible overview, let’s take a look back at the origins of online gambling software. With the digital boom of the 1990s, developers like Microgaming, Playtech and NetEnt caught onto the new possibilities offered by the internet and started their own online casinos. Due to bandwidth limitations at the time, a lot of digital casino software was regularly downloaded onto desktops by players. Some casinos still give that option to players, but it’s far less common platform now than it was 20 years ago. As internet speeds and technology improved, so too did online games. In recent years the industry has witnessed many breakthroughs in quick succession, leading to a climate of constant innovation and creativity in online gaming. One of the biggest breakthroughs in recent years has been the advent of HTML5. This programming language has allowed for online casino games to be played on any device’s browser, whether desktop or mobile. Improved AI and graphics have allowed developers to create incredibly realistic and immersive gaming experiences, replete with computer rendered croupiers such as in Yggdrasil’s Sonya Blackjack. Betsoft and Realistic Games, in particular, have been exploiting the possibilities of high definition 3D graphics in crafting their casino products. Perhaps one of the most impressive examples of this is the rise of virtual reality gaming, which is being heavily explored by developers like NetEnt and Pragmatic Play.
Casino Software News
Things change quickly in the online gaming industry, so keep up to date with the latest developments with my up-to-the-minute news coverage. Check back here to see the latest stories about the best casino software developers as this page is constantly being updated. Find the most recent stories below.
I regularly monitor the UK iGaming news for interesting developments and trends, along with any new regulations or law changes and will make sure to share other relevant industry news here as well. If you are looking to find out more about individual companies, you can check out some of our top online casino reviews.
Frequently Asked Questions About Online Casino Software
I hope this page has answered all your questions about casino game software. If you have any remaining queries, feel free to check out the most frequently asked questions below. If your question has not been addressed, feel free to send me an email to email@example.com and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Can you hack online casino software?
In a word, no. Online casinos employ the use of top-of-the-line encryption software to protect against hacking and data breaches. The games themselves are also regularly tested by third party auditors to ensure they are secure and fair.
Which is the best online gambling software?
This is a matter of preference, and each gamer will have a favourite developer depending on which games they like best. For example, slots fans might say NextGen is the best, solely as the developer focuses exclusively on creating slots.
What is gambling software?
Gambling software is used in both land-based video slots and online casino games. With casino gambling software you’ll typically find complex algorithms and random number generators, to create games of chance, as well as computer rendered graphics for greater entertainment and immersion.
How does online gambling software work?
Like all casino games, gambling software and online games operate on calculations of chance. In the case of gambling software, this calculation is carried out by computer programming and RNG software.
Where can I play free online casino games without downloading?
Almost all online casinos offer the ability to play games for free before betting real money. These games can be accessed directly through your desktop or mobile browser, without any need to download the software platform.
What different kinds of online casinos are there?
There are basically two kinds of online casinos. The first is via a software download, which allows the player to download an interface to their computer. The second, more common version, are no-download or ‘instant play’ casinos, which use web plug-ins like Flash or Java, or HTML5 coding.
I have an Apple computer, can I play at casinos and poker rooms online?
Though many casinos are designed to operate on PCs, most modern operators use instant-play technology, or run plug-ins like Flash and Java that will run on a Mac. Live Dealer games, poker rooms and casinos that do not require a download will be compatible with Apple Mac computers.
The Top Casino Software Providers in the UK – The Best Place to Play
The table below gives a final breakdown of the best casino gaming software providers mentioned on this page. Find each company’s best slot game, the total number of games and the most highly-rated casinos in which to play them along with my final rating of each developer here. If the below operators don’t tickle your fancy, you can check out my top 10 list. It is also worth thinking about whether or not any site that you choose has one of the top casino offers.