New Zealand's SkyCity Proposes Online Casino Offering

Published Monday, March 11, 2019 - Online-Casinos.com
New Zealand's SkyCity Proposes Online Casino Offering
The rules are being bent regarding online gambling in New Zealand where the activity is still illegal as New Zealand based casino operator SkyCity Entertainment Group goes ahead with plans to introduce a European based online casino. The operator is said to have exploited a loophole in New Zealand’s law to launch the internet betting site. Punters in New Zealand currently bet around $180 million at unregulated international casinos so the directors of SkyCity are moving on the project to regain part of that significant sum. SkyCity released its plan to open the online casino last year which they say would add to their existing entertainment operations in New Zealand and Australia. The country of origin for the casino has not as yet been identified although a SkyCity’s spokesperson Colin Espiner, stated recently that the possible choice would be the popular European online gambling service hub Malta. During the online casino’s inaugural launch the focus will be casino type games with the obvious possibility of sports betting to be added at a later date. It has been suggested that the impeding launch of an internet poker offering is to be established by connecting with recognized gambling firms in the jurisdiction. In New Zealand the rules for gambling primarily focuses on the community being ensured the benefits from the proceeds of gambling, and that the harm from gambling is minimised. New Zealand’s gaming regulations prohibit operators from actively advertising their online gambling products and services which SkyCity says it will respect. SkyCity has been working on changes in the country’s gambling laws for some time and has stepped up to launch a self-regulated and safer offering which is meant to help both the punters of the country and the government coffers. SkyCity is expecting to pay around $40 million in tax revenues. Certain politicians have voiced opposition including Tracey Martin, the Minister for Internal Affairs who said she was “disappointed that they are forging ahead” with the project.

Related news

Return to Latest News